Over the last few years conscious breathwork has become hugely popular due to changes in the world and the vast amount of information overload causing anxiety, stress and uncertainty. People now more than ever need a chance to slow down and reconnect with themselves in order to have resilience to make sense of a faster everchanging external environment. That resilience, mental clarity and inner strength can be developed through breathwork which is a huge part of actual Yoga practice, however you don’t need to have previous Yoga experience to practice it as it has developed into a stand alone healing modality.
In Yoga, Pranayama (expansion or regulation of energy in the body) has a long tradition going back over 2,000 years, it was the main practice before the proliferation of posture. In Pranayama practice we are using the breath in various ways to bring stillness to the mind for introspection, health and healing.
70% of toxins leave the body via the lungs, the breath has a huge effect on mental well being and emotions so the better we breathe the greater we’ll interact with ourselves and others. By slowing down our breathing we’re training the mind to take a step back, not get caught up in the ‘fight or flight’ response and slow down the habitual thinking patterns. It means that we become more in control of our minds rather than the mind going on autopilot and controlling us.
About the sessions
In these varied sessions we do practices either lying, sitting or some standing and light Yoga postures. The practices include:
- Developing lung capacity and flexibility.
- Learning to hold the breath and build up gradually.
- Movement with breath.
- Exploring different breathing rhythms for movement of energy.
- Classical Yoga Pranayama and background theory of Bandha, Nadis, Prana and Koshas.
- Practices with guided visualisation and relaxation.
These are open to everyone; you don’t have to have previous Yoga experience.
Saturday morning 8.30-8.45 via Zoom
This is a drop in session or you can buy a block of 5 or 10 classes. Suitable for those with some previous breathwork experience however variations are given and you can work at your own level. Please pay first via the classes page and the link is listed under the Saturday class.
One to one’s and small groups
These are available in person or via Zoom and are a great way to get more personal attention for any issues you may have such as anxiety etc or if you wish to learn more and develop a personal practice. Please contact for prices.
A few benefits
- A powerful ‘tool’ for dealing with anxiety, stress and depression.
- Improved sleep.
- Improved mental clarity and focus.
- Down regulating and accessing a deeper restful state.
- Live more in the present moment and contentment.
- Peace of mind, mental well being.
- Reduced blood pressure and resting heart rate.
- Great resilience in stressful situations.
- Improved immunity.
- Integration of mind, body and breath.
Get in touch
For more information on Breathwork, or to book onto a Zoom session, please don’t hesitate to contact me.