Over the last few years conscious breathwork has become hugely popular due to changes in the world and the vast amount of information overload causing anxiety, stress and uncertainty. People now more than ever need a chance to slow down and reconnect with themselves in order to have resilience to make sense of a faster everchanging external environment. That resilience, mental clarity and inner strength can be developed through breathwork which is a huge part of actual Yoga practice.
In Yoga, Pranayama (expansion or regulation of energy in the body) has a long tradition going back over 2,000 years, it was the main practice before the proliferation of posture. In Pranayama practice we are using the breath in various ways to bring stillness to the mind for introspection.
70% of toxins leave the body via the lungs, the breath has a huge effect on mental well being and emotions so the better we breathe the greater we’ll interact with ourselves and others. By slowing down our breathing we’re training the mind to take a step back, not get caught up in the ‘fight or flight’ response and slow down the habitual thinking patterns. It means that we become more in control of our minds rather than the mind going on autopilot and controlling us.
About the sessions
In these varied sessions we do practices either lying, sitting or some standing and light Yoga postures. The practices include:
- Developing lung capacity and flexibility.
- Learning to hold the breath and build up gradually.
- Movement with breath.
- Exploring different breathing rhythms for movement of energy.
- Classical Yoga Pranayama and background theory of Bandha, Nadis, Prana and Koshas.
- Practices with guided visualisation and relaxation.
These are open to everyone; you don’t have to have previous Yoga experience.
A few benefits
- A powerful ‘tool’ for dealing with anxiety, stress and depression.
- Improved sleep.
- Access a deep restful state.
- Live more in the present moment.
- Greater mental clarity and focus.
- Reduced blood pressure and resting heart rate.
- Great resilience in stressful situations.
Classes via Zoom
Saturday morning 8.30-8.45
Wednesday morning 9.30-10.45
Get in touch
For more information on Breathwork, or to book onto a Zoom session, please don’t hesitate to contact me.